Annually, May is celiac disease awareness month. I value this month because it brings everyone together to focus on an important topic, celiac disease (CD) and gluten intolerance awareness. After suffering for many years, I was finally diagnosed with celiac disease in 2004. I consider myself lucky because only 3% are diagnosed. The other 97% are unaware that their symptoms are related to the ingestion of gluten (wheat, rye, barley, and for some people oats) and, unfortunately, are living a decreased quality of life with the risk of multiple complications. As well, many are living with a non-celiac gluten intolerance which is also very under recognized and under diagnosed. Combined, this can lead to unnecessary suffering, increased doctors visits, increased hospital visits, and possibly death due to all the possible associated complications. This can drastically reduce an individual’s quality of life and adds an additional strain to an already overstressed healthcare system. Collectively, we need to increase awareness to effectively address this public health concern.